Sunday, February 24, 2013

A Bicycle Built for Tea for Two.

Spotted at the infinitely charming Evandale Village Fair and National Penny Farthing Championships this weekend in Tasmania: The following (folding!) tandem bicycle parked neatly next to the sign for 'Scone Street'.

Tandem in Evandale.

Talk about being instantly predisposed to like something. Scone Street?! Bicycles? Tandems and Penny Farthings? Not to mention a village full of Georgian buildings. Evandale was a kind of personal heaven. The pavements were too narrow to get a side-on shot of the tandem, which was parked in a very busy section full of Penny Farthing race spectators. Just to photograph it twice I had to stand some metres away squeezed against a building, waiting patiently for the shot to clear. I did walk past to see the brand, Bike Friday - but couldn't photograph the tandem in any more detail. This was as close as I came:

Bike Friday Tandem
Upon sitting down to do this post I was astonished to discover via Google that the Bike Friday had come all the way from the Hipster Homeland, Oregon USA! It gladdens my heart to think of the little folding tandem from America, so far from home but bringing so much pleasure to its passengers, cruising around the eucalypt scattered streets of our tiny island.

5 comments:

  1. hey that's my bike! (or one of them, anyway)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! And here I've just added a Bike Hour post, too. (Now with some minor corrections and inclusion of promotional graphics) I believe that's also one of yours :)

      I'm really enjoying the cycle space blog and looking forward to Bike Hour!

      Delete
  2. That's brilliant! Although the vision for bike hour is of people noodling around nowhere in order to share the most inane iPhone clips via Facebook, hypocrite that I am, I usually try to organise a mustering point after, for likeminded geniuses to kick tires and share a beer. A few of us (not sure how many) will be down at Launceston seaport. You simply have to come join us!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As excellent as that would be, I'm afraid it's a bit of a stretch from the NW coast to Launceston on a week night! I'll have to content myself with being visible in my own neighbourhood. I might even take a picture or two to report back on my Bike Hour :)

      Delete
  3. yes, take picture or video and share them with us on Facebook... very good :)
    Sorry to see you were diddled with your basket as well. There is clearly a basket switching racket going on in this country

    ReplyDelete