Friday, March 8, 2013

Safety Dance

A great and wise Safety expert once told me:
We can dance if we want to.
We can leave your friends behind.
'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance, well they're no friends of mine.

And this guy is reigning Safety Dance Champion 1996 - 2004 inclusive.

No reckless car driver is going to get away with the old, "But I didn't see him, Officer!" if this dude can help it. I often see this bike outside the supermarket in Ulverstone or riding up a side street. It's the kind of bike that makes me instantly respect the rider. A bike that says, "IDGAF what you think, I just came here to buy toilet paper in all potential lighting conditions."


Behold, the glorious cockpit.
Dance on, my friend. Dance on.

3 comments:

  1. Hello from a fellow fat bottomed girl in Sheffied, UK.
    I've just spent and hour reading your blog post and enjoyed it, so thank you.
    I recently completely covered my everyday bike in reflective tape. I hope it icreases my visibility, but also it looks a bit of an eyesore so hopefully deters bike theives!
    You can have a look at here:
    http://www.bikehacks.com/bikehacks/safety/
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked out your bike, Safety Disco Dancing the night away! :)
      It's so easy to forget that we can think outside the box on night visibility, I was stunned when I realised my Pashley had reflective sidewalls on the tyres - Until then I didn't even know they existed. I admit I looked at the solar powered strings of Christmas lights with a 'bicycle eye' last festive season but I'm not quite eccentric enough for that. Give me another 10 years...

      Delete
    2. I love finding new ways to reflect.

      I've replaced the decorative buttons on the back of my rain coat with spot me badges:

      http://www.spotme.cc/Page%205.html

      and I have an lflects pom pom on a key chain clip which I attatch onto whatever pannier I'm using at the time:

      http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/lostvalues/product/lflect-pompom-brooch-large?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=Gifts&utm_campaign=153612&gclid=CO7Tz8Oo7bUCFeXLtAode3gAEQ

      I like to have lots of lights also. My Mum told me once that she just happened to see me out on the bike and I looked like a christmas tree!

      Delete